Skip to main content

Documentation Book (Whats Includeded) - Intention


 The text bellow is the first draft of text that is going in the documentation booklet, it highlights the order in which i propose to write it in and the basic structure of the text.  In the book i don't want to talk about the work as such but more of how everything has shaped me as an artist and how its all come together to inform my final piece. The artwork in the book have all one way or another shaped my understanding of my practise. One piece that i did create this year was the wall to wall fabric, i haven't included this as i don't personally feel like it has informed my degree piece and i saw it more an experiment that didn't really achieve much  in the form of developing my practise.


Contents page will consist of -

Breakthrough - forget-me-not
Exploration - The bearer of hope (ginkgo leaves)
Research - dissertation 
Documentation - Pressed plants 
Experimentation - dehydration 
Completion - herdera (degree show piece) 

Planning to have the intro as my artist statement giving an overview about me as an artist

My work is concerned with the natural world; more specifically looking into plant species and their symbolic meaning. The act of walking is the starting point for my research, it allows for the natural connection between me and the subject to organically form. Researching into the species history, symbolism, traditions and mythology attracts me and is the focal point of my practise. I use my research as a platform to inform my sculptures, often casting directly from the plants themselves creating a connection between the manmade and the natural. My fascination with the natural world further extends to museology, which I use as a platform to present my sculptures.

Breakthrough will be  relating to my piece forget-me-not which was the turning point in which i felt i was finally creating work that i was proud to exhibit 

 Breakthrough 

In the early stages of my artistic career, Forget-me-not (2018) came as a breakthrough. It was a resounding moment in which as an artist I felt a feeling of accomplishment with something I had produced. This success propelled me to explore the natural world further, looking more closely at plant species and their origin. Having grown up around nature, the countryside is where I feel the most comfortable and is often an escape from day to day life. Making connections between my personal life and my artwork have allowed my investigation to flourish organically. It has created an environment in which my work flows naturally bringing a much more personal connection between all three aspects of art; artist, artwork and audience. Making this connection is key throughout my artistic investigation being able to connect with the natural world in a way that gives my work a poetic atmosphere as well as enthralling the audience’s curiosity.

Exploration looks at the first steps i made after the breakthrough. at this stage i now have a better understanding of the direction my practise is taking and beginning to feel more confident when approaching my work. 

Exploration

After establishing connections between my personal life and my studio work, I began surrounding myself in natural material. This presented both a positive and negative effect on my method of making; I had more material to work with than ever before yet unable to decide what avenue to venture first. This evidently led me to investigate the material I had collect looking at their origin, mythology and symbolism. Sourcing material before knowing its background unintentionally introduced a sense of curiosity. There was no original purpose for selecting the materials, it was purely down to fascination, thus creating an inquisitiveness that I desired the audience to reflect. At the forefront of this realisation was The Bearer of Hope (2018); firstly, the curiosity and fascination which bloomed into captivation having explored the history. This pattern of emotions intentionally gives it a poetic feel without it being forced.

 Research relates to my dissertation and how it has informed my practise. Although my dissertation wasn't about my work specifically it is relate able to all sectors of art and this is why it has and will continually inform my making. 

Research

My dissertation Artist, Audience and Artwork – Their Relationship within Performance Art highlights the relationship between the three aspects of art within performance art. However, it indicates crucial points which can be transferred to my own artwork. Neither the audience nor I can establish the overall meaning of an artwork as each resides within the individual, yet collectively these individual perceptions give the artwork meaning which is continuously evolving. This theory highlights that the context of an artwork resides collaboratively with the audience and the artist, while the artist creates opportunity for such interpretation.  This research indicated to me that I must allow for the audience’s interpretation and to not push my intention upon them. It created a much more open atmosphere for creating as it meant I could create before coming up with the intention and allow the meaning to naturally generate.

 Documentation looks at the way i am documenting my first hand research. Collecting plant material as research and finding a way of preserving this. The forms of the plants inform my work as well as allowing me to experiment with different display techniques 

Documentation
Reflecting on previous works highlighted the collection of natural materials that would wilt and fade which hindered the notion of keeping its natural beauty. By uprooting the plant its death must serve a purpose, to discard the plant would mean there was no reasoning for obtaining it in the first place. How could I obtain its living beauty even after it dies? Reminiscing brings forth the past time of pressing flowers; something I explored as a child and took great fascination in collecting. This process became a form of documentation, sustaining my curiosity in an object. The documentation has been on going throughout and has unsuspectingly formed a new purpose of becoming an artwork.
Experimentation relates to me finally being able to experiment with materials and different forms without having the meaning. It has freed my approach to art and has allowed me to create things more freely, delving into the research after.

Experimentation

The importance of experimentation throughout an artistic career prevents stagnation. Being confident with what I am producing propels me to pursue alternative methods of making to further extend my skills. Understanding that my most accomplished works have been through bronze casting, experimenting with different mould making techniques is a logical next step. Being able to transfer skills from one casting method to another widens my skills set while still maintaining a coherent method of practise. The outcome of these explorations, dehydration (2019).
Completion looks at my degree piece itself and how everything above has come together to inform the piece. without the previous i wouldn't have been able to produce the sculptures i currently am. 

Completion


Incorporating everything that I have learnt throughout this creative process has all come together to inform my piece Herdera (2019). Working in bronze has been my preferred method of making, for this reason I decided to extend my skills in this material. Exploring how to create an organic form out of hard materials came as a challenge. Working hands on with a material allows for a personal connection between the artist and the sculpture to generate. My intention for this piece was to express my fascination with the natural world. I didn’t want to inform the audience but to thrust curiosity upon them. The history, mythology, symbolism and traditions are all known and have informed the making process, yet the initial inquisitiveness is how the sculpture is portrayed. At my breakthrough I felt as though I had achieved something I was happy with, now I’m producing work that I am not only happy with but also confident in. I have explored different methods of making and developed a comprehensive skill set. Reflecting indicates how comfortable I am with the work I am producing and how excited I am for future endeavours.



Bellow is the design layout that i made for the zine i was planning to make. Not all the images are my own images as i was using them to help inform my layout ideas. I plan to use the professional photographs from the photo shoot of my work to make the book look more professional.








i showed my design for the book to a graphics student who informed my that if i want it to look minimalist that there was a way to do it that would make it look more interesting. So with that i collaborated with the graphics student to help me design a zine that is professional and print worthy - there is no point printing it if it doesn't look right. I wanted the zine to look minimalist yet still sticking with the theme of plants and museology, this is when i sourced reference images of botanical books. I don't want my zine to look exactly like the books but maybe the font and the way the images are laid out may reference botanical books slightly.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teach First Application - LO6 - Evidence

Evidence in LO6 Folder Application Process Sections to the application: ·          Registration ·          Pre-university academics ·          University academics ·          Competency questions ·          Situational judgement test ·          Supporting information ·          Programme preferences Registration Within the registration process I uploaded my basic information allowing them to contact me with possible job opportunities. This information was things such as name, address and contact details. Pre-University academics ·          A Level, As Level & UK equivalent ·          GCSEs, IGSCEs or UK equivalent ·          O-levels, other UK, or non-UK qualifications University academics ·          First degree studied ·          Modules                                         Competency questions Each question below had to be answered in 250 words or less.     Understanding and motivation Wh

Abramovic Case Study - Research & Evaluation

Performance artist Marina Abramovic adopts a territory where both audience and artist coincide throughout the entirety of her performance. Abramovic’s early career commenced during the 1970’s an era where performance art was ridiculed, only fuelling her aspirations to prove critics wrong. Abramovic’s rhythm series, which constitutes of five individual performances from 1973 to 1974, scrutinizes the tensions between abandonment and control. At the forefront of Abramovic’s rhythm series is Rhythm 10 (Abramovic, M. 1973). Rhythm 10 consisted of Abramovic recording herself stabbing between the fingers of her left hand with 10 knives, as fast as she could; changing knives every time she cut herself. When all knives were used Abramovic would rewind the tape and playing it back, she then began re-performing the actions to the rhythm of the tape. Abramovic wilfully or not, subjected her performance to a rhythm over which she had limited control. Abramovic claims each cut manifesting itse

Bishops Art Prize what i am proposing - reflection & critical evaluation

Having not know what i was going to produce for the bishops art prize for most of this unit i am extremely happy with the outcome i have produce. I wanted to carry on developing my practise by exploring different casting styles which is exactly what i have done.  When i first brought the idea to the 3D workshop technicians they dismissed the possibilities of casting an organic form in concrete. Not wanting to fall at the first hurdle i began researching to see if anything like this has been done before with not much luck. After having further discussions with the technicians and drawing up possible options we came up with a process that seemed to be the most logical. At first i present the technicians with rather complicated plants to mould - this was a result of me not knowing the mould making process for silicone moulds and thus had to go back and get some organic material that was a lot easier suited to the casting process. Still not knowing for sure if the mould would work